Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Back after almost 2 years' silence

So why now? Because when I created this blog I wanted to share my life journey through pre-diabetes (Insulin resistance) and Hypothyroidism. I didn't have as much time to write as I would have liked and many changes were going on in my life so I left this blog alone... set it aside.

So now, almost 2 years since the last post I am reviving it. Life is good, I have the best relationship a woman could wish for, we live in a nice house and up until a couple of weeks ago I also had the most perfect job I could ever dream of.

Health wise, the journey got harder. At some point about a year ago I started getting very tired. I also fell ill a lot and frequently. There were days I couldn't get my head off the pillow, I hardly drive (it's an immense effort for me) and I started to suffer from severe bloating, stomach cramps and other digestion problems. I'd spend 2 weeks out of each month sick with various ailments ranging from common cold to flu, stomach viruses and whatnot. My knees were also getting worse and worse and I already had a diagnosis of osteoarthritis in both knees.

Then in July, during routine blood tests I take every 3 months we found out my body was no longer reacting to the meds - my thyroid was still balanced but slowly tipping towards the hypo again, my blood sugar went sky high despite the fact  I consume no sugar and little to no carbohydrates in my diet, my triglycerides were going higher and higher despite me being on a high (double) dosage of medicine and worst of all - my liver enzymes were so high it caused a major concern. It seemed my body was shutting down on me. I was also bloated and could not lose weight despite the fact I have been eating well and even swimming.

My endo of 5 years (since my thyroid surgery) told me that she's exhausted all her possibilities. She said she can only treat my thyroid and my diabetes (which by now was full blown) by adding more medicine and that I should go see other doctors (orthopedic doctor for the knees, gastrologist for the stomach etc.).
She also said that the only visible solution she can think of is to lose a lot weight and fast and the only way she knows for this is a gastric bypass.

I left her office feeling helpless and with the realization that if I don't act fast I could ...well die. I also knew I wasn't going to go under the knife and that there has to be something we are missing. A person cannot be so sick all the time, suffer from so many different symptoms at the same time and have them each related to a different ailment. There had to be something central, systemic, causing all of those symptoms.

I decided to give myself one more chance to get a diagnosis and treatment before I succumb to the knife (if all else fails). After reading a bit online and talking to my partner we decided on a 3 ways approach: acupuncture, naturopathy and training.

So I found me a great acupuncturist, a great naturopath and a trainer from heaven in my gym (he specializes in rehabilitation after injury and illness and built me a good training program considering my bad knees). I also took a Candida test and, lo and behold - the test showed I had a severe Candida outbreak.....which could easily explain all the symptoms.

So a new journey began...a whole different ball game.

1 comment:

  1. I have tried everything to help me deal with my low thyroid, but after discovering bovine thyroid more seemed like a miracle than an accident. It truly works.

    ReplyDelete